Idle problems

I have an '86 735i and have some problems with the idle. I have checked
all the FAQ's concerning this problem but they all seem to talk about
the Idle Control Valve that has two wires to it. Mine has three. When I
try to bridge any/all of them all I get is a very slight clicking sound
and no movement of the valve. But when I put the valve back in the car
and start it the valve moves to a half open position no matter where I
put it to start with.

I have cleaned the valve and pulled the rear apart to find that the
valve operates some what like a generator, ie. magnetic field and
brushes type contacts. These all seemed fine.

This particular valve does not have any external screw adjustment to
fiddle with, (as advised in the FAQ's).

My current idle is a little high, about 850 rpm, and sometimes seems to
a have a mind of its own.

Any suggestions short of buying a new one as I figure that is always the
last option. Can I try the 'plug with hole' kludge on this type of ICV?

Regards from DownUnder
Trevor Turner
Canberra Australia