Reply: ...seatbelt is stuck

Peter asks for help with a stuck seat belt:

>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:21:55 -0700
>From: "Peter Sankiewicz (Volt Computer)" <a-petsan@domain.elided>
>Subject: E30 '87 325iC - driver's side seatbelt is stuck
<stuff snipped out here>
>I'm curious if anyone had a problem on an E30 convertible where the
>driver's side seatbelt is stuck and won't come out. I tried pulling it out
>using all kinds of tricks, but it's just lodged in there tight.
<more stuff snipped out>

I've had a similar problem in both my 1987 325is and my 1990 325i,
neither one of which was/is a convertible.  If you try to pull the belt
forward, it locks up and will not pull out.  However, if you pull it straight
down first, instead of forward, it pulls right out.  Another thing that
sometimes works - pull with your other hand.  Normally, I will pull the belt
out with my left hand (this is on a U.S. spec, left-hand drive car in a
country where we usually drive on the right side of the road, if you're in
England or some place that drives on the left side from the right side of
the car, reverse this).  The motion reaching back with your left hand over
your shoulder results in pulling the belt forward.  If it sticks (did I mention
that this is intermittant?), I then reach across my body with my right hand
and pull the belt down, and it pulls out free every time.

If your problem is actually something different that is specific to the
convertible, well, as Emily Latilla used to say, "Never mind".

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid