Re; [Fwd: 5er automatic (tiptronic?)]

Jim Cash wrote:

>BMW sold the E34 5 series Touring in North America for a few years
>during early 1990's. They will be bringing the E39 T - 99 I think.

Start of production for the US was to have been 9/98.  528i wagon in both
automatic and manual, 540i only in auto, contrary to Mr. Doolan's promise.

>When you said you had never heard of a 5 speed automatic on a 5iver that
>only applies to the 528iA. The 540 has always had the 5 speed.

As had the 530i

>Ithink the 99 528 now has a 5 speed auto. In fact I "think" that the 4
>speed was only for North America - I am not totally sure but I think
>Europe had a 5 speed auto on all E39 models (but it was a different one
>for the 6 cylinder models from the one for the 8's)

GM Salzburg 4sp auto tranny on the M50 engined 3s and 5s was specifically
for the US. Europe has had a 5sp auto since the intro of the M50 motor.

>The steptronic has been available on the E46 since launch in Europe -
>this is just slow to be available in NA.
>I also do not know when it will be available here - but I suspect soon.

Steptronic is available with the Sport Pkg on the 540i automatic in
conjuction with a shorter final drive ratio and reworked torque converter
stall speed.  This facet of the sport package, however, is not listed for
the 540i Wagon.

I've been away from the BMW Retail Center way of life for over 3 years now
so if some dealership personel or other knowlegeable party can explain this
differentiation, I'd appreciate it.  Why not on the wagon?  Can't the
horizontal shocks take it?  The mind boggles.

- -Phil Marx