RE:5er automatic (tiptronic?)

The Salesman speaks.............................

Reguarding the "tiptronic"(Porsche) style shift system on a BMW
automatic.  BMW does indeed have one, it's called a "steptronic".  I
have not driven one, but yesterday sat in a 1999 European 528it
(wagon-for those who don't know), it had the steptronic in it.  Unlike
the tiptronic which now has "satellite" controls on the steering wheel,
the BMW is limited to the shifter itself.  Although there where a few
things this car had that I'd never seen on a 5.  Such as PDC (Park
Distance Control) rear only.  It also had a set of 540 alloys, not the
Sport wheel, but the standard "turbine" style, and a 5 Speed automatic.
This car also had the full aluminum engine that the E46 has.  So this
must mean that the '99 fiver will have the same gearbox and engine of
the E46, unlike the '98 fiver.  I have no information that suggests the
1999 3's will get a steptronic.  Who knows, they may make it available
mid year.

Charles Gregory
93 325is

- --------------407A4AAF8F6B87281B3611A6--