<E30> re:SI problems

Mike Coffer sez
>1) Brake Lining light is always lit (Prev. Own covered w/tape)
>
>2) Recently the oil service light came on.  I tried to reset, as per
>instructions on the Homepage...Late type 20 pin connector.....Pin 7 to
>19(ground)...to no avail
>
>Questions:
>
>Does it sound like my SI batteries are dead?

if you connected pin to ground and turned ignition ON (but did not start the
car) and after 5 or 10 seconds the lights reset, *then* I'd suggest the
batteries are dead.

>If so, would replacement bring the board back to life...or are these two
>separate problems?

well, a couple of batteries is a hell of a lot cheaper than a replacement
board..

the brake lining is not related to the SI board.
check carefully and you might find a break in the wiring near the wheels
 ( wires are often loose and rub against something and break )

>Also replaced O2 sensor recently....
>
>Which brings me to my next question.......
>
>The Check Engine light appears on a sporadic basis..more often it seems
>during humid/hot operating conditions.

(88 325)

I believe you have motronics 1.1.. which has self diagnosis capabilities..
ie: if the check engine light comes on, a trouble code will be stored.

check http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/fault.html
(info is available in lots of places but Jim Conforti's page is as good or
 better than any)

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002