Re: Need Advice from BMW GURUS

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Franklin Joseph wrote:

> We are either gonna use my car (E30 M3) or his car (civic vtec).
> We are gonna use a 3" ducted blade fan with a high output motor. the fan and
> the motor is off a model plane. we are planning to put is behind the air flow
> meter.
> We estimated that the fan will produce about 2-3 pounds of boost.
> I would like to know if this will work.

by my calcs, a 2.5l motor @6000RPM sucks up 125l/s of air, which is
265cfm.  If you want to raise the pressure by 1/7atm (2psi), that ups
the airflow to 300cfm.  Can your high output fan motor pump 300cfm at
2psi?  That's a lot of air.  Seems to me like you'd need more power
than a model plane could provide.  Try a gasoline powered leaf blower!
(I'm just dying to know if that'll work)

(You turbo guys feel free to tear apart my math - I'd like to learn a
few things too)

- --
  John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
 bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
  @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
                                        -tabloid.net