Re: bmw-digest V9 #199

Rick,

I had the same thing happen to me when I first purchased my M5.  The problem turned out to
be 1) wet electrical connectors and 2) a bad #2 spark plug.

Remove all the underhood electrical connectors, one by one and dry them either with a towel
or with some commercial electrical contact cleaner/dryer.  Once you've done that, pull out
all the plug wires and make sure that the plugs and the wire ends are dry.

> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:25:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From: <rkoo@domain.elided>
> Subject: <E28 M5> low rpm shudder - due to steam clean?
>
> Hi All-
>
> Another problem has cropped up on my recently acquired '88 M5. I had the
> engine steam cleaned yesterday (need to find oil leaks), in anticipation
> of the Major II service I'm having done today (it's sitting at Dinan as I
> write this).
>
> Immediately after the steam cleaning, I began to notice an intermittent,
> pronounced shudder/rough running, only around 1500-2500 rpm. I figured
> something that preferred to be dry, had gotten wet (or knocked loose). It
> was intermittent and quite varied in severity, from something feeling like
> minor driveline  shudder, to a really bogged down,
> holy-crap-what's-going-on magnitude. No stalling out, no problems at idle,
> though. It didn't creep up again this morning until I got within a mile of
> Dinan (engine was warm - 25 mi drive = 1.25hrs, go figure).
>
> Like I said, I suspect the steam cleaning caused this only because I
> hadn't experienced it before - I know correlation doesn't always imply
> causation, but I'm mighty suspicious in this case. Somebody, anybody,
> please venture some guesses as to what's going on, before Dinan empties my
> wallet troubleshooting!
>
> Rick
> '88 M5 (kind of a dog, but a fun daily driver nonetheless)

- --
Matthew Yip
mgyip@domain.elided