Follow-up Question: Gremlins in Tank

To summarize the problem under discussion:  On newer BMWs (E34, E36
that we know of, and probably more):  If you leave the key on while
filling up the gas tank, the gas gauge will not read properly.

Duane Collie privately clarified that the strange gas gauge reading from
refueling while the key is on happened on an E34 535i.  It never
happened on my E28 535i or any E30 or E24 that I'm aware of.

All of which got me to thinkin', and after 30 or 40 seconds of deep
thought, I came up with this:

Just how complicated does a gas gauge circuit have to be?

Old gas gauge circuit:  Sender in tank, wires to gauge, gauge on dash.

New BMW gas gauge:  Sender in tank, wires to computer, wires from
computer, gauge in dash.

Question:  Why does the gas gauge need a computer?

Yes, I know the computer looks at the fuel level to determine miles to
empty, but the computer should not interfere with the operation of the
gauge, it should just read the level.

Sometimes I think BMW overcomplicates these things on purpose.  If
anyone knows of some reason why this works the way it does, please
enlighten us.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid w/ "normal" fuel gauge, as far as I know