Intermittent surging at idle.

   I've had this '84 528e for two weeks, and it just started surging at
idle (seems to be getting relatively worse).  I noticed it a few days
ago as I was waiting at a stop light.

    It boggs when I get down on it at take-off.  It seems to me as if
too much air is being passed to the throttle body.  (I am used to the
adjustment screw on the air-flow-meter of my '79 320i).  Is there an
adjustment somewhere on this beast, or is it electronically controlled?
There aren't any apparent vacuum leaks, and I replaced the plugs
yesterday with Bosch Plats and this didn't improve things.  The old
plugs were pretty carbon coated, and the eletrodes were worn a bit.
Any tips on what I should do next, before I take her to the shop?  My
brother had a similar problem with his Range Rover, and the mechanics
told him that the idle arm was dirty, and that it needed to be cleaned
and reset.  HELP ME PLEASE!!