Reply: E30 fuel pumps

John, for Bimmers with a transfer pump, the transfer pump is in the tank,
and the main pump is outside the tank.  For Bimmers without a transfer
pump, the main pump is in the tank, where the transfer pump used to be.
So, no, you couldn't add a transfer pump to the later cars, at least not
easily - it would require much design, engineering, fabrication and lots of
other expensive labor.  It would just be cheaper and easier to replace the
in-tank main pump when it stops working.  It isn't hard - heck, I did it, so
pretty much anyone can!

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977