<E36>REPLY-Rattling M42 engine at warm idle.

I have a few ideas on this, although I do not have this model bimmer.  Is your
car a standard trans?  Even though you think the noise is coming from the front,
it could be the clutch release bearing.  It would be silent when cold, then
loosen up a bit when warm.  When the car is warm and making the noise, try
pushing the clutch in and out and see if the noise changes.

Also, you can use a 4 foot piece of 1/2 inch wooden dowel as a stethoscope.  It
works amazingly well...you will be surprised if you have not already done this.
Just move the dowel around on various parts of the running motor and components
while the other end is held close to your ear.  I have found A/C clutch noise
and a bad wheel bearing this way.  The noise you are hearing should be heard in
the stick when you get close to the source.  The closer you get...the louder it
will be.

Good Luck,

Ron Milliet
McComb, MS