RE: 635Csi questions

 2 Problems I am still thinking about, Questions for the list:

    1. The Air Conditioning seems to have lost its R12 for some reason.
Research shows that an R132a (? I think thats the "new freon" number)
conversion requires a new compressor and other various associated
stuff.  Is this a good way to go?  Is it a job that the dealer or the
aftermarket does better?  Am I looking at around $1000 for the job?

Just had my AC R/R... new compressor, new evap.  $700.00, including
freon.

    2. The suspension bushings are shot, and the shocks, while
controlling wallow oscillations, could be better.  The aftermarket seems
to have really addressed this problem area, but I would rather have a
ride that is near stock as opposed to the buckboard ride that non-stock
suspension mods sometimes generates.   My Big Question on the suspension
really has two parts:
            a. Should I have the dealer replace the bushings with OEM
BMW parts, or should I go aftermarket?

In the latest Road & Track an article takes a look at the magic "feel" of BMWs...
use OEM parts to retain that magic.

            b. What shocks will work well, giving a good balance of road
feel/control without a buckboard ride?

Bilstien HD will do the trick.  Sports are too stiff for your stated ride
requirements

   Regards,

Jan Nelson
82 745i needing front fenders
83 745i with freshly straightened, polished vintage 5 spoke 3 piece Gottis ;-)