Re: e36m3-digest V1 #92

Hi all,

I installed the ERK (from UUC Motorsports) on my '98 M3 yesterday. There
was a noticeable improvement in both the smoothness of shifting and the
effort required. Most notably, the notchiness was almost gone. If you
have one of the BL/SS conversions on your E36, I would definitely
recommend this addition.

Installation was a snap. The instructions were complete (although I
really knew what to do already). I chose to leave the carrier in the car
and install the ERK screws from the underside. It went pretty well, but
I'll bet it would have been easier with the carrier removed. I was just
concerned about breaking the clip of death because I didn't have a spare.
Overall, installation took me about an hour.

There is not a lot of clearance between the shift lever and the carrier
(I think it is actually touching in 5th and possibly reverse). I'll see
if it vibrates or anything - if so, I'll bet a file would quickly fix it.
My initial reaction was that the lever is too high, but I'm getting used
to it quickly. It would be great if there were a lever with the same
underside dimension that was an inch shorter on the top! I'm wondering
again if I would prefer the bent lever, but I'll give it a bit of time
before deciding.

Overall, my congratulations to Ben and Rob on their great invention!

The usual disclaimers - I've no affilitation with, and nothing to gain
from UUC Motorsports.

Ken Dobyns
Portland, OR
98 M3 (my ride)