Re: <5er> Automatic transmissions?

>I am considering an older used 5-series to complement our '76 2002.  The
>problem is, my wife does not ever intend to learn to shift.  So, I need an
>automatic.  Are any of the automatics worth a darn, performance wise?
Quite
>a while ago I drove a nice 528e automatic at the local BMW dealer, but it
>didn't seem to have any guts, no real response.  Felt like a Ford
automatic.

>Has BMW offered one of those manual shifting automatics like the Porsche
>Tiptronic?  If so, how long ago was it introduced?

>Or, are automatics just boring no matter if its BMW or Ford?

Michael, BMW automatics in recent years have actually been made by GM so
they can't shift like a Ford. ;-) Seriously, we've had 4 BMW's in the
family, 2 presently, all automatics because we live in the city and not
everybody in the family can drive a stick. I presently drive a '92 E36 325iA
which has the same drivetrain as the '91-'92 525iA. I find the automatic to
be very good, especially the sport mode. I had a Jim C chip installed and
despite the car being an automatic, still noticed a difference, especially
at full throttle. We had an E32 735iA and never had any complaints about it
either. It was replaced with an E32 750iL (all automatics in the US) and it
is great too. Some BMW enthusiasts don't regard these as true BMW's, but to
me they are. Not all automatic cars have to shift like a mass produced
passenger car. Performance wise you will probably take a 1 second hit on the
0-60, but BMW's aren't that sort of car anyway. I find my car will downright
fly on the interstate once you get it going. Don't take your experience with
the 528e automatic as a typical example. "eta" based engines were not that
gutsy to begin with, let alone in automatic form. If you're looking at an
older car you won't find any Tiptronic style shifters as that is a recent
trend within the last year or two. If I'm not mistaken it won't be making it
to the US on E46's at all? No other BMW models have it that I'm aware of. As
for the 5er's were you looking at E28 ('82-'88) or E34 style ('89-'95)? Be
aware that in the E34, the M20 2.5L was used in '89-'90 cars while later
ones had the M50 ('91-'92) and M50TU ('93+). The 535i used the same 6 as the
735i and is a wonderful choice if you can find a good one. The later
530/540i V8 models were nice but unfortunately are pleagued by the dredded
sulfur engine block problem. They are a good deal for a late model car, but
be aware of the status and prepared to replace the block down the road ($$$)
should you keep the car past the 100k mark. The 535i would probably be my
top choice if you can find one..... '89-'93 they were produced. Second I'd
say the 530i is a good value, 540's seem to command a lot more, especially
for 6spds. Automatics (more common) are more reasonably priced. Best of
luck!

Regards,

John

'90 750iL