resetting odometer for E36

Hi,
I've got a 92 325I (E36).  It experienced a problem where it would keep
running after turning the key to OFF.  It turns out that there was a short
in the SI board which caused the the car to think that the key was still ON.
So the board is being replaced (by Dinan).  However, this board also
contains the odometer.  So the new board will have my odometer set to 0.
Not a great situation.  The tech at Dinan told me that it could be reset,
but it would require sending the new and the old boards to BMW in NJ, and
would take 3 weeks.

My question is, is there any other way to reset the odometer?  Can a BMW
dealer do it?

Thanks
Greg Steinke
gregs@domain.elided

92 325i (broken again)
82 Alfa Romeo Spider (reliable backup to BMW)

End of bmw-digest V9 #190