<E21> Front Wheel Hubs - Conversion from '81 to '77

I am considering using the larger/beefier '77 front wheel hubs on my '81
320i... Can anyone confirm or refute that the spindle on the '77 strut
housing is also larger so that I would also have to upgrade/convert to
the '77 strut housings as well?

I have examined relevant part #'s for the '77 vs. '81 setup on the BMW
Mobile Tradition CD...

There are different part #'s for:
Shaft Seal
Inner Bearing
Wheel Hub (of course...)
Hub Retaining Screw
Outer Bearing
Flat Washer
and Dust Cap...

It seems strange, however, that the SAME large CROWN NUT (#31 21 1 104
626) is used in both the '77 and later '81 system. If the spindle on the
'77 was larger, wouldn't I need a DIFFERENT crown nut than the '81??
(hmmm... I guess not if they just tapered the spindle down at the
threaded end in the '77 version...)

I would like to do the conversion but if it also means replacing the
strut housings it won't happen for awhile.

Drive well...

Brian