>In the M roadster there is a space up by the firewall on the >passenger
side that
>is
>separated from the rest of the engine compartment (note: it was where
>the inital
>96 Z3s had the battery located).  Now there is some compontents and
>one of them
>is a second fan for the engine.  This fan comes on for the first 2
>minutes
>(coincidence?)
>after a cold start.  This fan blows air into the exhaust to heat it >up
to reduce
>emissions
>(the M3 engine is a TLEV engine I think)- how that helps when the
>outside air is
>around freeezing I don't know, or maybe the problem doesn't happen in
>the
>winter?
This almost sounds like what was on my chevy. it had whatis called an
air pump. what ti does is pump air into the exhuast so that what ever
hydrocarbons (fuel) is unburned can burn. this is done to help reduce
emissions. but what sounds questionable is that yours only stays on for
two minutes, supposedly. check into it. but other than that i think the
problem is normal and actually healthy. 1) it helps reduce emissions, 2)
you burn less gas at idle (if infact it happens at all idles and no gas
is injected into the engine) 3) allows you to pass emissions where
required (as previously said if no gas is fact injected)
Craig Robson
86 325es torquey s.o.b. love it to death
With the extra air the car runs lean causing the stumbling.  He said if
that
wasn't  the
problem, it wouldn't be easy or cheap to fix.