<02>tii fuel pump "expansion wessel"

Just got around to looking at my tii's fuel pump and found out someone
had disconnected the expansion vessel.  One end had gotten filled with
dirt.  I got most of it out, but it sounds like there's some in the body
that won't come out.

Mainly, I just need to know what it's supposed to do.  I couldn't get
gas to flow through it and am wondering if there is a check valve of
some sort in it that responds to the pressure which the pump produces?
Or, is it supposed to flow unrestricted and just act as an compressed
air buffer of sorts?

Please keep the expansion vessel jokes to a minimum - especially the
ones at my expense :)

Tom Clark
'72 2002 tii
'85 528e