Bubbas - Let's get it straight

Grant sez in part:

>I thought this was a BMW list.  What does being a Bubba have to do with
>BMWs?
>

>If some of you like to call yourselves Bubbas, you are obviously
>free to do; it just makes you look elitist in the way it being used and it
>makes you look somewhat stupid although somewhat comical in an ironic way.
>
>So did I offend a Bubba?, Doubt it. since most people I met in my life that
>I would call Bubba to their face would not know they have just been
insulted or they were too
>drunk to reply other than to release a gaseous cloud & send a slurred
curse.

Whoooooo-Hoooooo!!! Grant...that's quite a diatribe!  Lemme tell you about
'The Bubbas" since it seems to be a great source of mystery and
consternation here on the Digest to some.

Michel Potheau and I started calling each other "Bubba" when we were
planning PizzaFest I about a year ago. We were joking around and Michel
coined the term in his e-mails to me.  As PizzaFest grew in scope and more
people volunteered to help with it (like Ben Liaw, Rob Levinson, Pat
Donahue, Mike Fennell, Rafael Garces, Jon Farber, to name a few of the
original group), we started refering to everyone involved in the planning as
"Bubba".  Because 95% of all this planning was via e-mail, we developed an
e-mail remailer list rather than having to CC: everyone. We called it the
'Bubba'  List.  It was originally set up by Suzy Kraft who volunteered to
act as list administrator. Only those actively involved in the logistics of
PizzaFest I were allowed on it during its initial inception.

Well, We had so much fun clowning on the list (and straying from planning
topics) that we kept it going after PizzaFest I and developed PizzaFest 2 on
it.  It's politically incorrect and the banter is wide open. Topics that
would result in instant slamming on the Digest are discussed with reckless
abandon on the Bubba List. We've invited some bimwads off the Digest since
P'Fest 1 who demonstrated a knack for wit, charm, and NO WHINING to join us
from time to time.  Now there are about 26 of us on the list and  most are
pretty well known as long time Digesters. It's kept small purposely as
remailer lists tend to get out-of-control with too many on it.

We use it primarily to plan PizzaFest 2 right now, and discuss options and
programs for the event.  Contrary to popular belief, its pretty damn hard to
set up and organize one of these events and we need a forum to do the
planning. For example, we {collectively} burned off 150 or so e-mails alone
in a two week period regarding the prospect of buying liability insurance
for PizzaFest 2 and how to fund same.  How many Digester would wanna read
all that? Or the other 300 or so e-mails discussing incorporating as a Car
Club to run P'Fest type events around the country?

So anyways.... that's pretty much it in a nutshell.  It's all done in fun
and in good spirit.  More like a PizzaFest Fraternity in a Howard Stern
format than anything else.  Yes, we have a private mail list that can't be
automatically subscribed to. If that makes us 'elitist' then so be it.  Last
thing we need is 300 + bimwads trying to collectively decide how to set up
the autocross classes - pick a dinner menu out - or even decide who goes
into what run group at Summit. Some things by necessity have to be done in
small groups.

Now you know its not nearly the big deal its been made out to be.

Bubba <original> Duane Collie
RM3DR1/UUC/P'Fest 1 & 2
National Capital Chapter

End of bmw-digest V9 #185