<02> later grills on early car -- Sacriledge!

I'm thinking I've read somewhere that it is quite straightforward to
install the later plastic grills on an early (<74) car -- is this in fact
true?  Having lost "teeth" on two sets of grills now, I'm not eager to
invest in a third (the teeth seem to break-off during high-speed runs).
I'm thinking that the later plastic ones may be more robust -- any
opinions?

Or, should I just bit the bullet and buy NOS early grills (~$400) as they
are, in fact, stronger than the plastic when new (i.e. perhaps my loss of
grill integrity is due to metal fatigue, which I'm sure is a contributing
factor...)?

Thanks for any and all opinions on this matter -- especially from those of
you who have BTDT :=).

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX