Turn # 4 @ Summit Crash

>I know plenty of people who run various brake pad setups, some like what
>has been described. If you want to delude yourself into thinking this
>crash was caused by the brake pads go ahead.

>Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter

Don,

I have to tend to agree with you on this and ANY brakes will stick it to
you where David went off and wiped out his M3.

Having had my share of laps at Summit, I can tell you sincerely that if you
are hard into Turn # 4 and charging down "THE CHUTE" at full steam,
anything - anything at all that unsettles the car will nail you. You are
carrying speed down an off-camber hill. The rear is unweighted. You can hit
# 4 with a perfect apex, but if you're in too hot - you're screwed.

* Tap the brakes outta # 4 - you spin. Meet the side of the hill.
* Lift outta turn # 4 - you spin. Ditto. Wipeout.
* Carry the speed and touch the outside of the dirt past # 4 - you crash.

This turn demands respect and a very high skill level. You MUST accelerate
through # 4 down the chute.  You cannot scrub speed out of it and if you
are in too fast...all you can do is hold on and pray. This is the only turn
on Summit that I am hesitate to attack full speed and  I take great caution
with it. I've gotten a couple of serious puckers on The Chute from carrying
too much speed there.

When I was swapping e-mails with Gary Bossert (esteemed felloe Bubba and
BMWCCA Club Racer) looking for a sub - 1:31 time at Summit, he asked me if
I take Turn # 4 flat out?  I said "Are you nuts?" or words to that effect.

Course, Gary turns 1:26's and IS NUTS. Certifiably.

I recall Gary telling me the car can do it and that I can pick up a second
there.  Then I remember that little "Reality Gremlin" that pops up on the
dash every so often as I'm big time into the gas on the track and sez to
me: "HEY HOT SHOT. YOUSE GOT A $40 K CAR HERE THAT YOUSE IS GONNA SPIT INTO
THE WOODS. HOPE YOUSE IS GETTING BIG PRIZE MONEY AT THE DRIVERS SCHOOL,
YES? WHAT ARE YOU ... STUPIK?".

Now that I've put the Fear of God into all the virgin track novices coming
to PizzaFester's in 2 weeks, lets all remember that 'tis good to be
RABID.....and better to come home unbent.  It's O.K. to 'Geeeeeezzee' a
little here and there when you're doing Driver's Schools.

Duane Collie
Sensibly Rabid - Hates turn #4 @ Summit
National Capital Chapter