[E36M3] Rolled M3/4 and brake pads

>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:26:56 -0500
>From: Neil Maller <neilmaller@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [E36M3] Rolled M3/4 and  brake pads

>On 9/17/98 9:21 AM Milos Klacko milos@domain.elided wrote:

>Since you had Pagid Carbon in the front and Repco deluxe in the
>rear, most likely you unbalanced your brake bias pretty
>significantly (i.e. your Carbon fronts were biting a lot harder
>than the PBR Deluxes in the rear). That would also explain why
>your car had the tendency to be tail happy.

Hi

My regrets go out to whomever lost this nice car. Please do not take
this the wrong way as I know this type of incident could happen easily
to a bunch of us on this digest. I have only been following a little of
this thread. It started to get my attention when the blame for this
shunt has started to fall on the brake pads.

I know plenty of people who run various brake pad setups, some like what
has been described. If you want to delude yourself into thinking this
crash was caused by the brake pads go ahead.

I would put my money on the foot on the brake, attached to the leg
linked to the brain of the driver. It sounds to me like driver error
folks. It is pretty common at these events attended by amateur wanna be
racers (like myself).

Unless it was catatrosphic failure of a component, like a control arm
ball joint, or a broken caliper or popped master cylinder. Short of
these types of things. I would say the blame falls on the driver. I
think the old cliche is "its a poor workman that blames his tools".

I don't think there will be any lessons learned with this type of
approach.

Once again my regrets go out to the driver/owner.

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter
(1988 325IS, no power steering, cracked foglights)