<E36 M3> Missing at idle - Dealer says normal

All,

I bought a 1995 BMW M3 approximately four weeks ago.  I recently noticed
that the engine was randomly missing at idle speeds.  I discovered the
behavior while listening to the exhaust.   You can hear the typical "puff"
sound usually heard when one cylinder doesn't fire.  You can also feel a
subtle vibration through the car when it occurs.  However, there is no loss
of power while driving at normal speeds.

I took the car to my local dealer (Crown BMW) to have it checked out.  They
put the car on their computer and informed me that there was nothing wrong.
They said this is normal for the M3.  They said a change in timing occurs at
idle speeds to help keep the car within emission standards.  They said that
this is what causes the random miss.

I am struggling with this explanation and searching for a second opinion.
My warrantee runs out in less than two months.  Can any other M3 owners
confirm this behavior or validate the dealers diagnosis?

Thanks for any help,
- - Bryan Davis
rbdavis@domain.elided