SI Battery Board

     Patrick wrote:

     I knew I should have brought it to the garage.Help me please.
     I've an '87 325i that needed it's Service Indicator Board batteries
     changed.After reading the list I figured I'd do it myself. Everything went
     well=batteries soldered in (Varta 1.2V Rechargables) etc,
     until I reinstalled the board and started the car.Now the Temp gauge and
     MPG Meter don't work and the Rev counter is erratic.
     The "Inspection" warning light doesn't light up any more and the
     service lights are dead. In fact things are worse than before I touched=
      the car.

     Patrick -

     Is it possible your battery board had already been changed to lithium
     batteries?

     Before attempting this replacement in my own car a couple of weeks
     ago, I asked on the digest if anyone had ever looked in to using later
     battery technology, such as lithium, instead of nicads. I got very
     little response - Aaron suggested nickel-metal hydride rechargeables
     instead; no one had any comment about lithium.

     To my surprise, when I got the board out, it had lithium batteries in
     it, with a 1993 date stamp. Apparently PO had had it done, and
     (presumably) BMW supplied the replacement board.

     I found similar lithiums and used them instead of the rechargeables.
     My guess is that a board intended for lithiums woould NOT receive
     current for recharging, which could be the source of your problems.

     Hope this helps.

     Bob Fluharty       '87 325is       Cincinnati OH

End of bmw-digest V9 #173