Check engine?

Digesters,

I have an E36, 98 323is with less than 2000 miles on it and suddenly the check
engine light has come on.  I understand from the owner's manual that running
the car with the gas cap loose can cause this,(which my wife did).  My
question is now that I have secured the cap why is the light still on?  Does
this light have to be reset somehow once it is lit or, is it likely that I
have another problem?  Should I schedule an appt. with my dealer or is there
something else I could or should do?

TIA, for any responces.
Chuck
98 323is Avus Blue w/sports and prem. but still stock for now.
90 525i  Grocery getter
BMW CCA Suncoast Chapter 158648