		Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:15:27 -0700
		From: Greg Steinke <GSTEINKE@domain.elided>
		Subject: 92 325i E36 Keeps running with no key

		Here's a situation which lends credence to the "Digest
Jinx" theory that has
		been commented on.  Two days after reading about someone
who's car kept
		running and locked her in, a similar thing happened to
me (although not as
		bad).  I turned my key to OFF, and the engine kept
running.  When I have the
		key in On, everything is perfect, windows work, locks
work, etc.  But when
		the key is in OFF, the engine keeps running.

		I poked around a bit with the Haynes manual, and found
that anything
		connected to the green wire on the ignition switch
continues to work with
		the key in OFF.  For instance, the headlights still
work.  Anything
		connected to the violet wire (which also turns on when
the key is ON)
		doesn't work - for instance, power windows.  Sounds like
a short in the
		switch. Well, no such luck - I measured the resistance
across the switch and
		found that it worked as expected - when the key is OFF,
red and green are
		disconnected.  When the key is ON, red and green are
connected.
		Furthermore, with the key in OFF and the engine not
running, the red wire
		shows 12 V.  The green wire shows 11.0 V.  Indicates to
me that somewhere
		else in the system, there is a connection that should
not be.

		I disconnected the battery in hopes that it was a
software glitch somewhere
		and rebooting would solve it.  No such luck.

		I'm going to take it to Dinan later this week.  But if
you've got any ideas
		to try, I'd give it a shot.

		Thanks
		Greg Steinke