92 325i E36 Keeps running with no key

Here's a situation which lends credence to the "Digest Jinx" theory that has
been commented on.  Two days after reading about someone who's car kept
running and locked her in, a similar thing happened to me (although not as
bad).  I turned my key to OFF, and the engine kept running.  When I have the
key in On, everything is perfect, windows work, locks work, etc.  But when
the key is in OFF, the engine keeps running.

I poked around a bit with the Haynes manual, and found that anything
connected to the green wire on the ignition switch continues to work with
the key in OFF.  For instance, the headlights still work.  Anything
connected to the violet wire (which also turns on when the key is ON)
doesn't work - for instance, power windows.  Sounds like a short in the
switch. Well, no such luck - I measured the resistance across the switch and
found that it worked as expected - when the key is OFF, red and green are
disconnected.  When the key is ON, red and green are connected.
Furthermore, with the key in OFF and the engine not running, the red wire
shows 12 V.  The green wire shows 11.0 V.  Indicates to me that somewhere
else in the system, there is a connection that should not be.

I disconnected the battery in hopes that it was a software glitch somewhere
and rebooting would solve it.  No such luck.

I'm going to take it to Dinan later this week.  But if you've got any ideas
to try, I'd give it a shot.

Thanks
Greg Steinke
gregs@domain.elided