<E30> re:windshield nozzles

Mike Theuri asks
>My right windshield nozzle has not been spraying any
>washer fluid and when it occasionally does, it sprays
>just a little bit. I took off the protective insulation from
>the hood and I found that there is a plastic white
>connector from which the left and right nozzles are
>connected. The right side of the connector has a little
>hole on its side just like the right, but it is through
>this hole that the washer fluid has been pouring out
>instead of going through the connecting pipe to the right
>nozzle. Is it possible to fix this or would I have to buy a new

this is a little one way valve with an over pressure blow off

the one way valve part is plugged and instead of wrecking your pump the
fitting lets the washer fluid squirt out the side

step one:
 remove plastic fitting, jam something sharp and pointy through it
and open the one way valve.. put back in the car.. now you have a working
washer jet. *but* the washer fluid will tend to drain back to the
reservoir when not in use and it will take longer to get the squirt next time

step two:
 buy a new plastic fitting. they are cheap.

I've replaced the fitting in my '89 325i twice in the last 3.5 years.

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002

End of bmw-digest V9 #168