E36: Gear Popping Problem

Occasionally (1 time out of every 100 shifts maybe), my 5-speed
transmission will "pop" out of gear when I engage 1st gear from a stop.
Sometimes the noise/jarring that accompanies this popping is quite loud,
other times not so bad.  I can sometimes tell that the gear is about to
pop out and a swift clutch in action will prevent it, other times it
happens too quickly for me to react.  This has not happened in any other
gears.  The clutch is original with about 60K miles, and pedal effort
while a bit higher than a new clutch is not too bad.

Any advice on likely cause?

Guillermo Christensen