Summit Point FATT (Long but worth it)

Rob Mudry wrote:
Hey Gang,
It was an interesting day at the Summit Point, W.Va. FATT (Fri at the
track) yesterday. <Snip> Unfortunately, very early in the day a '98 M3/4
lost control on turn 4 and rolled.  Luckily no one was hurt, but the car
was totaled. <Snip>

That was me, gang.  Had lots of time to reflect in 36 hours.  Please
learn from me.  I'm no track newbie.  I've been going to BMW CCA and/or
FATT schools for three years.  I was signed off solo on Jefferson
Circuit last year and this spring on Summit; been doing typical 1:35 to
1:36's on stock MXX3's.  I ain't no full fledged Bubba, but I know my
way around Summit pretty well.

We tend to think we can fiddle with things just one more time and the
car will behave even better.  I had the bright idea that by running 42
psi front and 37 psi rear, the car would't push even in #6.  It still
pushed, but it was also tail-happy, wanting to come around at the
slightest provocation, and it did not respond quickly to countersteer as
it always had before.  Level-headed me pitted after 2 laps to take a
breath.  MISTAKE #1:  I sould have pulled into the paddock right then
and there and fixed the pressures, waiting 'til the next session if
necessary.  Instead, I flagged Bill Davis, an outstanding instructor who
had worked with me several times and had originally signed me off to
solo on Summit.  I told him about the feel of the car and he agreed to
go out with me to help.  On our first lap he said I looked fine except
for missing the apex in #4.  True.  I was being timid because I didn't
trust the rear end to stay put.  He said he'd help me set it up better
(far left before the right kink) next time around.  I stayed slow (but
not slow enough), pointed everyone by who was even close to me, and let
him set me up better in #4.  The tail came loose.  I countersteered and
the tail just kept coming.  @$!#%*, I thought.  This doesn't even feel
like my car!  Bill did his job well.  I was the one who knew how
squirrely the car was, but I went back out anyway.  It's not up to
instructors to fix stupid car setup mistakes.

Second, even if you're getting to the track every month, if you're a
loyal UUC fan like me, something's often going to be different about the
car the next time you go out.  Until this February when I got the M3, I
was running a Dinan-ized E36 325i on R1's.  I had just added the Borla
exhaust and Euro snorkel this month.  Before my last FATT, I had added
X-brace and BL/SS.  All very cool stuff, but all make things sound,
feel, and/or work differently on the track.  Yesterday I remember
thinking "Wow, this thing's pulling like a freight train!"  That
mandates driving adjustments.  Avoid MISTAKE #2:  If you're serious
about learning safely, leave your car alone for at least three hours of
track time or six months of daily street time before going to your next
tweak.  Get really comfortable with the last gizmo before adding the
next.

Third, yesterday there was more very fast hardware on the track than at
any FATT I can remember (lots of very tweaked 'Vettes in addition to the
usual traffic).  At previous FATT's, I'd point maybe ten cars by the
whole day.  My left hand was very busy in 2.33 laps yesterday (first lap
is warm-up and doesn't count), and it was distracting.  And that Borla!
What a sound!  I found myself listening to it a lot and enjoying it
immensely.  MISTAKE #3:  There's NO room for distractions on the track.
If you find yourself distracted, pit and get your head straight before
you even THINK about pulling out again.

Please learn from me and don't squish your baby as I did.

I did do two things right.  First, I wore a Simpson cervical collar.  My
neck isn't stiff at all, but other parts of my body are.  You'll never
recover from a broken neck, but it only takes one 20-minute session to
get used to the collar.  Second, I drove a BMW.  It got five feet in the
air and came down on the roof before resting on the driver's side.  No
cage or bar or harnesses (not that that's good, mind you).  Both of us
walked away unhurt except for some glass shards and stiffness.  All four
doors, hood and trunk still unbelievably open and close/latch, and the
central locking still works.  Franz has done his homework, brothers and
sisters.  That's why I'm here to write this to you.

I'll let you know what Penn National Insurance has to say about all of
this soon.  I know some of you are verrrrry interested.

Dave Hogg
National Capital Chapter
'98 M3/4    Squished, Autothority E-prom, Euro box & snorkel w/K&N
panel, BL/SS, X-brace, BMP billet strut tower brace, Dinan shock tower
brace, Borla cat-back, stainless steel brake lines, Euro 2-piece rotors,
Pagid carbon pads front & Repco Deluxes rear.