re: sway bar rate calculations

Great post , Pete.  Its amazing how accurate these calculations can be.  I haven't compared calculated vs. measured rates for sway bars, but I have done it for linear-rate coil springs.  The relevant formula in that case (from Milliken) is

K = Gd^4/8ND^3

where

G = shear modulus (~11.0 X 10^6 psi)
d = wire diameter
N = # of coils
D = coil diameter (wire center to center)

Used this to calculate rates for two sets of springs on a Miata I was setting up.  Was later able to measure the rates on a very accurate dyno.  Calculated vs. measured agreed within a couple percent.  Now if only some smart guy could come up with a formula for shock absorbers...ha.
- -Al