Re: Porky Bimmers

Ron Katona said:

>Here's the problem I have with the M Coupe and the rest of the current
>BMW lineup - weight. Someone please explain to me why the tiny
>M-Coupe weighs in at 3131 lb?

I agree that Bimmers have been pretty heavy lately.  One reason the
Audis are lighter, besides using aluminum, is that they're front drive, so
no drive shaft or rear diff housing.  Except, of course, for the Quattro.

>I'm pretty sure today's M coupe weighs more than a E28 5-series!

The E28 535i was listed at about 3250 pounds, heavier than the M
Coupe.  The 528e was probably right around 3100, though!

One advantage of living in Europe is that most of the standard stuff on
new U.S. Bimmers is optional over there.  If your goal was for a lighter
car, just don't buy power/electric/automatic everything and you've saved
hunderds of pounds ( or a bunch of Kg, if you're in a metric-only
country).  BMW has positioned their cars in the U.S. market in a price
class where having lots of content is pretty much necessary to sell the
cars.  So we get the heavy ones.  Oh well...

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977