Car & Driver Tests M Coupe <longish>

The October Car & Driver has a test of the M Coupe.  The descriptions
don't quite rival David E. Davis's 2002 piece, but some of the comments
are worth noting.

On the love/hate styling:  "Depending on your response, the new BMW M
Coupe is either a tribute to George Barris, the hot-rod custom king who
made cars out of bathtubs and other unlikely stuff, or a fearless
expression of contemporary cool.  There doesn't seem to be much middle
ground."  I'd say this pretty much sums up what we've been reading here
on the Digest and in the Roundel for the last year.  They also say that
"it demonstrates that BMW is willing to take some chances", unlike the
latest 3er, 5er and 7er.

They quote the factory as touting "torsional stiffness 2.6 times that of
the M Roadster", which supposedly allows stiffer spring and shock
rates.  They also say that the factory specs say it weighs 47 more
pounds more than the Roadster, but their test weight was 31 pounds
lighter than the M Roadster they recently tested.  This can probably be
explained by the varying levels of equipment on the two test cars.

Their skidpad numbers were lower for the Coupe (.86g for the Coupe, .87g
for the M3 and .88g for the M Roadster).  But, the tested Coupe came on
Dunlop SP8080E tires, and I bet the M Roadster and M3 they tested
earlier had the Michelins.

Here's the part I liked:  "...the new coupe emerged as a driving
instrument of neraly surgical precision, with bulldog grip, plenty of
hustle from BMW's stout straight-six, crisp shifting, surperb brakes,
and an endearing willingness to forgive errors of the enthusiastic
variety."  And, "...the M Coupe driving experience is almost undiluted
exhilaration...", they say as they find a couple of token complaints.

The Counterpoint comments include a few choice entries:

Bradley Nevin (whoever he is):  "Something about this car seems to
scream to its owner, 'Hurt me!  Hurt me! Make me work for it!  Throw me
into that curve like the dirty little curve that I am!'  To which an
obliging driver replies with a grin, 'My pleasure.'"  (I figure some of
you Bubbas would like that.)

Larry Webster sez:  "The bulging fenders and squat shape evoke an
aggressiveness that screams, 'Whaddaya lookin' at, punk?'"  And,
"Tossing around may not be the fastest way through a set of twisties,
but on the thrill meter, the M Coupe ranks up there with the best roller
coaster."

There's also a little story about how the Coupe project originally had
no official BMW sanctioning, so members of the Z3 development group met
after hours to work on the Coupe.  I applaud the dedication.

All of which makes me want to go rob a bank or something to come up with
the cash for one.  I'm not sure whether I'm in the love or hate camp on
the styling, but I figure when I'm driving, I can't see the exterior
anyway.

Well, sorry if this bored anyone, but the article kinda got me goin',
and I just had to share it with someone.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977