BMW v. them

  Gary writes:

  >The hairy eyeball is very similar to the fisheye.

  I write:

  Is that similar to the browneye?

  Now to important matters:

  Regarding the whole Firebird/Z28 v. BMW thing, there's a similar thing
  happening in the motorcycle world.  I bought a used '85 Suzuki GS 700 in
  '92 for $1500.  Yeah, its a rice burner, but it's all I could afford at
  the time and it was/still is a helluva bike.  Crotch rocket engine, no
  heavy fiberglass. Slapped on some new tires and a chain, and I've got a
  new bike.

  Anyway, anyone who doesn't ride may not notice, but bike riders usually
  extend a wave to each other showing their solidarity and commitment to
  riding.  It shouldn't matter what you're riding, just the fact that you
  are riding.  Lately a new generation of motorcyclists, primarily cruising
  Harley's,  have come along.  My biased presumption is that they've
  probably never owned another bike, never taken the classes to ride
  correctly, and never wear helmets(sorry Californians and Mr. Idol, it's
  optional here in Indy!).  These same people refuse to extend the
  customary wave to anyone cruising anything but a Harley.  Even if I wave,
  they don't acknowledge me because they're too good for me.  Well LA TE
  fuc**ng DA!  It's not that I don't like Harley's or don't like them, but
  the combination sucks.  It's not that I couldn't afford to, but maybe I
  don't want to drop 20 grand on a hunk of metal I can use maybe 6 months
  of the year.  Maybe I don't want the status, just a motorcycle.

  Could this same thing apply to the BMW v. anything else mentality a few
  of us have?  Yeah, maybe the others don't corner as well or get the
  shallow chicks looking.  Maybe they don't look quite as slick as a waxed
  BMW.   Maybe they know what they're missing, but can't yet afford the
  Ultimate Driving Machine.  Or maybe they can, but use the extra 30 grand
  for an education or a yearly trip to Bermuda.  Who knows, or better yet,
  who cares?  The fact that they're driving a sports car, at least by their
  standard, is all that should matter.  Who knows, maybe next year they'll
  be lapping us, making us look stupid in an E46 M3 ;-)

  'Lighten up Francis'
        -Sgt Hulka

  Lurkingly yours,

  Chris
  '93 325is
  '85 Suzuki 700GS

  PS-I get the same woody cornering in my Bimmer as I do hearing a small
  block Chevy scream at 4000rpm!

End of bmw-digest V9 #155