manual tranny oil

This last weekend I changed the tranny oil in my E30, and I
realized that I don't really know much about transmission oil.
According to the Bentley, the normal tranny oil for this car
is SAE 80 GL-4 non-hypoid.  The Bentley mentioned that one
could use straight weight engine oil in colder climates, but
not multiweight.  Why?  Does the no-multiweight apply to
heavier weight gear oil?  Also, what is the difference between
"hypoid" and "non-hypoid" oil?  (hypoid has to do with gears
whose axis cross at right angles... ie transaxle, but why would
the oil be different?)  Also, what does the GL-4 mean?

I have seen some technical info about motor oil on the web, but
haven't stumbled across any gear oil info.  (Other than that one
should put redline MTL in their transmission.)

- --Rob
87 325is