Re: E24 overheating/E28 experience

I'll jump into this fray with my experience.  Looking at the fan can be a source, but with that age
of the car I'd look at the radiator and expansion tank also.  The OE radiators are notorious for
clogging and the expansion tanks are known to flare out on the lips that hold the cap tight for
proper pressurization of the system.  My E28 has had/have both problems.  I've also heard this with
other owners as well.  I replaced the radiator and have still to replace the ex. tank.  In my case
you can see how the lip has bowed, especially where the cap flange is always pressed against the
plastic lip on the tank in the fully sealed position.  Mine I believe was made worse by a serious
over-heating of the car after an accident.  But they can still fail.

These can be easily checked by any repair facility.  The radiator can be checked by using a temp.
sensor to see if there are variations in temp. along the surface of the radiator.  The tank is
about $60 and is good protection just to replace on high mileage/older cars.  Also do a pressure
check on the system to see if it can hold pressure properly.  If it can't, this can cause the
problems your seeing also.  I don't know if you have the aluminum/plastic radiators, but the seal
from the core to plastic ends are know to leak over time.  Especially if the car has been
over-heated.  In my case the seal had been leaking for some time, yet showed no signs of leaking,
yet I was slowly lossing coolant.

Agian, I'd have a repair shop check the radiator and do a pressure check of the system if the
switchs work OK.

OH, a note on the temp sensor in question, BMW put the switchs in a terrible place high on the
radiator.  Unless the system is working in top condition with proper coolant level and
pressurization and has been proper bled, the coolant won't make contact with the sensors high in
the radiator.  In turn they don't sense the temp. of the coolant and don't turn on the fan!!!!
This was a failure mode in my E28.  This I believe is a poor design flaw and can cause lots of
problems in older/high mileage cars.  This is why I say it's real important t insure the system is
working properly first and then debugg the other less important fan systems after.

Take Care,
Russ
'88 535iS   Healily Dinazised