E36 double locking (and funny stuff)

Hi all,
Hilarious posting from Mr. York.  Sad part is, I thought it was for real
until I read the name signed (Vinny Barbarino:).  Many Mustang/F-body
drivers DO think like that.
Anyway, my question is this:  what is "double locking"?  I've heard
references to it on the digest, but I'm not sure what it is.  My E36 325is
has the factory alarm with the 3-button key fob.  The first button says
lock/ul da (hard to read the bottom, it's worn).  The second button says
dblk (double lock?)/alarm.  The way the first owner explained it to me was
that the first button locks/unlocks and the second button alarms.  Also,
what's the difference between locking with the key fob and using the key?
(If I lock it with the key and then press the button the button seems to
"relock" it).  So basically I don't understand my complex locking system and
I'd love an explanation :-) TIA.
Lane Flynn
1994 325is