Fuel shut off "feature"?

I have a '98 328is and notice that when I ease off the throttle,
the gas consumption indicator increases up to about 40 mpg.  Then, if
I ease off a little more, but not all the way, it goes all the way to
the left (infinite ? mpg) and torque appears to decrease markedly, as
if the fuel injector has shut off fuel.  I  seem to remember that
this is a "feature."  If so, its a bit annoying in very slow traffic;
causes enexpected drag as the throttle is almost all the way off.
It also causes a similar phenomenon with the cruise control engaged
when going down a steep grade on the interstate, as if the breaks
were being applied lightly.  Is this a programmed-in feature to save
fuel?

Jerry Cohen
BMWCCA 157750