<all> 46 mm socket sources

Jerry asked in #136;

<<Anyone have a source for a big socket that's not going to cost an arm, leg
and half a testicle.>.

Well folks having just completed the dreaded front wheel bearing change I can
help ol' Jerry save some of his vital anatomy.  Please no disparaging comments
from the distaff readers.

The choices are:

BMW factory tool (Hazet 12 point impact)  88-88-6-312-80    $52.73 list
$42.18 net
Snap On  LDHM462 (12 point) Chrome  $62.50 list
Facom K46HA (six point) Chrome   $26.00 (last list I got from Steve D')

I got the BMW one, took 48 hours.  My Snap On guy didn't have it in stock.
The OD on the Snap On impact socket is too big (don't ask).  I'll bet Steve D'
probably has it in stock as well.  All are 3/4 drive so you may have to spring
for an adapter (I got mine at Sears; stop snickering Duane).

I tried to loosen mine with a big assed breaker bar, and finally resorted to
the Bubba's "more power" method.  The reinstall torque is 210 LB-ft.  Don't
forget to pick up new nuts and the dust seals.  Repalcing the rotor bolts,
caliper bolts, and caliper guide pins at the same time isn't a bid idea
either.

Jeff Harker
Hoosier Chapter
home of O'Fest '99 <www.ofest99.org>   registration forms up today