Re: Gyros, active suspension, DSC, etc.

>> Agreed.  But I think there may be an application for gyros:  set up a
>> small gyro as an inertial sensor -- then use a computer to analyze it
>> and adjust the suspension accordingly.  For example, rather than have
>> anti-sway bars which not only reduce sway but also stiffen the ride, you
>> could instead have a small gyro sense lean and then electronically
>> stiffen the shocks on the side you are leaning towards.  The net effect
>> would be a much softer ride while the car is level (i.e., when you are
>> driving straight but simply hit a bump in the road), but still have
>> strong resistance to roll.  Theoretically.  ;^)

DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) works on something of this basis - using
yaw sensors and etc. to evaluate the car's motion and poke and prod the
brakes and throttle accordingly.

Old Infiniti Q45a (active suspension) models tied various velocity sensors
on the suspension into a hydraulic system that replaced the springs
outright.  Worked really well, but was (a) very expensive (b) fairly heavy
and (c) quite complex.

Q45t ('90-94) and some 300ZX models had Super HICAS - a
hydraulically-driven rear-wheel-steering system that used steering-angle
sensors and accelerometers to twitch the rear wheels back and forth.

John.