Always Questions

Thanks to all who responded to my redline Q. Now I have another question...
Last night I put my auto in first & shifted to 2nd at 6800 rpm.. W/ my foot
still on the floor.... as soon as I hit second, the little idiot light came on
(the circle with an exclamation point) which apparently means that the car did
not shift properly.... I drove a few blocks with the light on before stopping
to restart the car in hops it would turn off, which it did...

Here is the question... as soon as I restarted & started driving I noticed
that the car is shifting VERY SMOOTH... It does not appear to be
slipping....?? In the 5 years I have had this car it has shifted very hard...
most noticeably from first to second gear...  I have driven about 50 miles
since I did this & it is still shifting at the right times & appears to be
solid, just smooth....

Although I prefer the smooth shifts, is this a sign that I have broken
something?? Or is it possible that when the idiot light reset itself it reset
something in the tranny???

If anyone has experienced this pls. let me know...

PS: I do not intend to blame this on Jims chip..

88' 635 Sharked & Shifting Smooth!?