Motronic 1.3 self diagnostic

Hi all,

First of all many thanks to everyone replied to my previous question
about O2 sensor.

As some of you pointed out, my DME should be monitoring O2 sensor and
let me know if something is wrong with it by flashing "Check Engine"
light. The problem is - i don't have "Check Engine" light. According to
DME application guide (courtesy of Bonneville Motor Werks) my car has
Motronic 1.3 installed and it should have the self diagnostic
capability.
So what's wrong then ?
'88 325i owners - do you have the "check engine" light ? (maybe DME was
replaced by previous owner of the car) Is it supposed to be 1.3 ?
And (however stupid it may sound): If the feature is there - is it
possible to connect LED or light bulb or something and read the flash
codes ? Has anyone ever done that ?
Oh, by the way, i am in Europe and my 325i is european model.

Thanks

- --
David
'88 325i