M Coupe

Test rode in an M Coupe today.

	Went over with my Buddy who was turning in his '95 M3 for service. We
arranged to take the coupe out for a spin.  When I first saw it, my
reaction was "Coyote Ugly" and I saw where the CRX and such comparisons
came in.  Kind of like the old Nissan Pusar that you could add a wagon
tail gate in place of the notch back.

	But, you know, I started thinking of Rover/Austin Minis, and Breadvan
Ferraris of the '50s and '60s and suddenly it wasn't so ugly any more.
The front still looks cool, but the rear is a love/hate thing.  Kind of
like an MG-C.

	So, we fired it up.  Kick-ass exhaust note.  Really sounds swank.  Twin
Dual-tip exhausts poke out from under the rear fascia.  Cockpit is
close.  Too small for me.  Buddy is 5'10" 250 lbs and I am 6'7" and
225.  He was a close fit, and I needed the back of the glass roof open
to sit upright.  Not Good.

	Interior is an interesting mix of retro touches, like chrome gauge
surrounds.  Funky leather look upholstery on the doors and seats.  The
rear volume behind the seat is big enough to get your guitar amp in, but
the guitar case would present a problem.  Narrow.  Narrow sums up the
car.  Nifty trunk, with a cute little handle.

	STILL no oil pressure gauge (does BMW ever use them?) but in the
console there was (l-r) a clock, a blank hole, and a Oil TEMP gauge.
Spiffy.

	Click into first and off we go.  Be polite with it until well away from
the dealer, then give it a bit of gas to see.  Seems to be lots of
squat/nose rise on acceleration.  Handles great.  Chassis feels very
taut.

	Motor is wonderful, with bags of power.  Shifter feels nice, but Buddy
remarked that the console was higher than the M-3.   pedals and such are
kind of close in the narrow footwell.

	Vision is deent, but I am too tall.  Rearview mirror = blind spot out
the front, and it takes up lots of windshield realestate.  Kind of cute
oval shape, tho.

	Overall impression: Fast and fun, with an odd pastiche of noveau and
retro (did I get enough buzz words in there yet??!).  Would I buy one?
Nope!  Don't fit.  Don't fit the roadseter, either, with the top up.

	Maybe we can get one with an all-metal roof and add in a Gurney Bubble?

- --

 RangeR
   BoB
 Hembrook

 '89 BMW 750iL                   	"Sputnik"	92k
 '89 Suzuki Samurai 4x4          	"Sammy"   	94k
 '88 Kawasaki ZX-10					28k