RE: <E36> ‘98 Muffler Mechanism?!?!?!?

This little mechanism is used to offer more low end torque.  What happens is
when you are driving below 2800 rpm or so, the flap is shut - offer better
torque.  When you hit 3000 rpm and higher the flap opens providing better
air flow.  I may be wrong on the actual RPM values, but I am close...  If
you prefer to have the flap open at all times, just unplug the vacuum hose
and plug it up with a screw.  Then tuck it up where it can't be seen.

Hope this helps!

Ray Rockholt
'98 M3/4