Re: <E36> Sequential M Transmission

Ariel Manoos wrote:

> Digesters,
>
> Is the Sequential M Transmission available here in the US? If so, does
> anybody  know how
> much this product would cost.  And lastly, is there a plan to make this an
> option to the next M3?

Well, I was waiting for someone who _knew_ to give an answer.  Since there has been
no response, I'll give my best info -- and if its wrong, perhaps that'll spur
someone who _knows_ to respond...

No, the sequential transmission is unavailable in the US and will not easily be
fitted into a US-spec car (I've heard the US motor does not leave enough room for
it).

I think it runs about $5K-6K _as_an_option_ where it is available.  It would cost
more than that to have it retrofit in a Euro-spec car.

I have heard rumors (that may be just wishful thinking) that it may be an option on
the M5.  Haven't heard much on the next M3.

I think the closest we can get in the US is RaceLogic's trans controller that gives
you an F1-style shifter on the steering wheel stalk.  But you're still using the
same transmission and torque converter -- but at least you have a usable manual
controller.

Brian