E28 535is hvac problem

To summarize, psutter wrote about insufficient air flow from the a/c vents
resulting in inadequate cooling inside the car on very warm days.

I have noticed the same condition in my 87 535is. Very low volume of air from
the vents as well as twice, at interstate speeds, the flow of air actually
stopped coming from the normal vents and began coming out of the vent below
the slide controls. This air was very warm (outside air). The evaporator then
froze-up and soon water began dripping into the passenger area.

This weekend, I checked out the motor which controls the fresh air flap
located under the dash above and to the left of the glove box. The motor would
actuate when I moved the fresh air slide control but, the motor itself wobbled
as it worked.  I could only see one connection point which appeared to be a
rivet. I suppose that there was another fastening point but it was not
visible. Is the vent flap not closing completely because of this wobble?

The $64,000 question is: am I on the right track? Could this loose motor be
causing the problems I described? If so, how in the world does one go about
tightening this motor? It is Very CLose where this is mounted. Will the dash
have to be removed to get to it and can the rivet be drilled out and replaced
with a conventional fastener? Why would BMW use a rivet in the first place?
Help!!!

Thanks in advance...

Donn Stevens
'86 325