re: A/C Odor

Charles: I'm currently trying to rectify the same problem on my '95
325i. So far the best alternatives I've come up with are:=20

#1) Wurth makes a HVAC cleaning spray - expensive, (~ $18/can) but
reportedly like other Wurth products, works well, low snake oil
factor. Larry Reynolds, of Car Care Specialties, carries it -
www.carcareonline.com.

#2) Fridgi-Fresh, another deodorizing spray.

#3) (& what I'm trying to get done) From the e36 Service manual fiche,
under the subject 64 51 000 Cleaning Evaporator, screen 64-51-175:
=09
 "Note: It is possible for bacteria to build up on the evaporator
plates. This occurs due to the condensate that is left behind on the
plates after the compressor is switched off. When the compressor is
switched on again there could be a moldy odor in the car for a short
time. For this reason, the evaporator should be cleaned at regular
intervals".=20

	Following that is the details of how to clean the evaporator,
complete with a special tool that attaches where the micro-filter goes
(in the e36) and the part number for a cleaner ( #564 09 91 (390) ) to
use. The procedure calls for applying 1 liter of the cleaner, letting
it work for 10 to 15 minutes, rinsing with at least 6 liters of water,
then switching the hvac to max heat to dry out the evaporator.

So far, the dealer has wanted to spray the vents with lysol - sorry, I
don't want my car to smell like a men's room, even if it is a clean,
germ free men's room. You'd think with a procedure laid out for fixing
the problem from BMW it'd be painless to get them to do it, but not
so. I don't see any water on my vents & I do see a puddle of
condensate under the car when the AC has been running, but maybe the
drain is only partially blocked & holding some germ breeding water in
there? I've also noticed that the smell is strongest with only the
blower on without the AC cooling - either the air takes a different
path, or the cooling of the air reduces the smell more than what I
think it would. I just faxed a copy of the procedure to a different
dealer & have an appointment on Wednesday to be seen by a tech - of
course, the service advisor knew nothing of the procedure & would make
no commitment toward doing it. I have nothing to gain by having them
do this (& I'm betting my glove box won't be aligned once they're
done) - you'd  think I was asking them to swap in a new motor from the
reaction I've gotten. Let's not even include the fact I've refered an
M3 and a 328i sale to their dealership! Let me know if you'd like me
to fax you a copy of the procedure - it's a bit blurry, but the best I
can do.

Good Luck

Barrett N.
barrett.nicholas@domain.elided
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
note new email address!
Houston, Texas
BMWCCA# 130,000
'95 325i - CeeKay, the SuperCar
shark-infested (JimC chip)

>From: cyclee@domain.elided (Charles Yia-Chun Lee)
>Subject: A/C Odor
>
>I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem.  I have
>just got my A/C fixed and upon startup of it a bad odor comes out
>of the vents.  I also noticed that  if I blow vent air, the same odor
>comes out.  It starting to be a bit like a bad Seinfeld episode. =3D
>
>Fortunately
>the odors seesm to diminish after a couple of minutes.  I was wondering
>if anyone can direct me to a product I can use to get rid of it.  =
Thanks.=3D