Re: CAtalyst Leaking

You  wrote:
>From: Zaffur Malik <Z.Malik@domain.elided>
>Subject: How to test for leaking catalytic converter  - E36 320i Coupe 199 4
>
>Hi,
>
>Is there anyone that knows what the tell tale signs are of a leaking
>cat.  The local BMW garage says that there is a black sooty deposit on
>the cat. - which means it is leaking water.  Is this correct, as the car
>has covered 94,000 miles?
>
>What are the tell tale signs?
>
>Will it fail the MOT?
>
>Where can I buy one for a reasonable price - main dealers are asking too
>much!
>
>Zaffur Malik
>z.malik@domain.elided

Yes, soot stains are a sign of leaks in the exhaust system; most cars,
however, have such leaks, to a greater or lesser degree, since the very
smallest leaks will allow condensate from the exhaust to carry soot out and
make the stain. VERY few cars have completely leak-free exhaust systems,
and IMEO a completely leak-free system is usually undesirable for a variety
of reasons not worth discussing at this time. What I'm getting at here is
that it is very possible that your little leak is nothing to worry about,
and certainly a leak tells you nothing about the function of the catalyst,
i.e., whether or not it is catalyzing - only an emissions test will tell
you that.
The only good answer to your question will involve getting someone you
trust completely (yourself, for example) under the car to look at this
alleged leak, and tell if this is a severe structural fault, or something
you can live with. Just remember that your dealer has two primary concerns:
making sure not to do something or omit something he could be taken to
court for, and making as much money as possible of you,  so he will never
tell you that something is unimportant.