Re:cryogenic treatments-Knute's the man !

Knute Ream answers our questions about cryogenic treatment of brake
rotors in digest V9#99.  Finally someone in 'the trade' speaks up.

>My exposure to cryogenic treatment is job-related; I manage a precision
>metal fabrication facility.
***********
And that makes you the authority....really!  Knute then goes on to inform
us as to crystalline structures and how they can be strenghtened.  The
variable on the cooling rates, hold time and warming rates is right on.

>If heated or cooled too quickly, it can ruin the tooling or cause
cracking.

And notice how he sneaks in the bit about doing it improperly can
actually *cause cracks*!  Listen to this guy, he knows of what he speaks
and it only costs you .02 cents.  Good information Knute and thanks.

It just doesn't seem feasible to do this.  Expensive plus you have to
find someone that can do it right!  Just replace the warped rotors and be
happy.

Curt Kiser
U.S. Navy Cryogenic Metrology Section - Norfolk, Va.