<E30> 325iC A/C compressor cycling often when hot

My '87 325iC A/C compressor is cycling about once every 30 seconds
when the car gets hot - that is, when I'm stuck in traffic. The result
is air that starts to get cold, then warms back up again, giving a
wholly unsatisfying cooling effect.

I've had the system checked at a shop to see if it needs a charge, but
apparently it doesn't. The aux cooling fan is working fine, after
getting some electrical gremlins squished.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer an opinion.

Thanks

Matt
(back on the list after mysteriously being thrown off)
87 325iC 80k miles